Friday, July 4, 2008

Happy 4th July

I had to switch my pre-school teaching day with another mom because I impulsively bought plane tickets to visit Canada. As a result, I didn't get to teach about super novas and white giants and red dwarfs. Instead, I got to teach about 4th of July.

Ha! Now, until a few years ago, I didn't even know that 4th of July has any significance to anyone. I am not the best person to teach about it. Sure, I've seen the movie Independence Day but if I remembered correctly, that move was about Will Smith fighting aliens. Anyways, I decided to just throw a birthday party for America and have the kid run around doing silly dances, wearing silly hats and popping firework. That's exactly what we did. It was a lot of fun to teach but the clean up was hard. We had class outside so I had to move furniture downstairs and then back up. Oh well, it was all worth it. I had fun and I think the kids had fun. Here are a few snaps from the event.

My class and my mom helper. Look who's the only student not paying attention...

Yes, even Hayden got to play. The kids were really sweet to him. We had a pass the flag activity and they wanted to give Hayden a turn. When he cried when his turn was over, some of the older kids gave up their turns to Hayden could hold the flag longer.

Everyone's favorite - snack time. We had blue (blueberries), red (jello) and white (star shaped sandwiches) foods. Then, since it's a birthday party, of course we had to have cake.


Silly streamer dance.


Like the compulsive planner that I am, I had more activities lined up than we had time for. I left out the quieter activities and let the kids run around and jump and dance. I figure there was no way I could get them to calm down after the cake. Our last activity was "stepping on firework". I got packs of those little snappers and put them on the concrete and asked the kids to jump on them. They made a nice snapping sound and the kids didn't have to touch the gun powder. The smaller kid (Kira) had some trouble with them. She couldn't quite get them to snap. Maybe next year.

No comments: