Monday, April 28, 2008

Sol Food

We went to this Puerto Rican restaurant on Saturday called Sol Food. I didn't really know what to expect as I couldn't even imagine Puerto Rican food. I was impressed by the decor and atmosphere as soon as we entered. The lay out gives a feeling of spaciousness and openness. The big pieces of wooden furniture has a lot of character.


This was our table. It can seat up to 10 people and when it gets busy, the tables are communal.


This entire wall is made up of doors!


Most importantly, I saw many things on the menu that sounded intriguing. The daily special was "Fried Whole Fish". I almost decided to just go with that without reading the menu further. But while we were in line to order, I gave the menu another look and saw lots of other good sounding things. I ended up ordering the roasted chicken thigh and a mango-orange iced tea. The chicken was the second best piece of roasted chicken I've had at a restaurant. I've had good roasted chicken at people's houses, but somehow, restaurant roasted chicken always disappoint me. After our main courses, we decided we needed more plantains. So Brett went back and ordered a fried plantain chips. Man, was that delicious.

Since I am unlikely going to have a chance to see Puerto Rico, this is probably as close as it gets. I am glad it was such a yummy experience.

No comments: