Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Someone Else's Handiwork


My mom and I bought this beautiful handmade sweater last summer at the PNE. I was pregnant with Hayden at the time and Kira was 16 months old. She was this tiny little girl who was spoke in two word phrases and didn't know how to go up and down stairs at all. I remember pushing her in the stroller and taking her out when she wanted to see an animal or some other random thing. If you had 4 legs and a tail and you were bigger than a dog, you were a "moo moo" to her. My mom and I thought Kira would be 4 before she'd wear this sweater and we also picked this particular one because it was most gender neutral - we already knew we were having a boy and we were considering "hand-me-down-ability".

We were wrong about everything. Kira wore it out today and the sweater fit perfectly. She is only 2 years old. She loved it and so did everyone else. We were out for about 5 hours today and had 4 or 5 stranger coming up to us compliementing on the sweater. In addition, nobody thought it was gender neutral. This is a girl's sweater. Doesn't mean I won't put it on Hayden in 6 months or so though.

I wish I knit and embroider this well. Now that I see how much Kira appreciates the beauty in her clothes, I am inspired to knit something for her. I am thinking about the baby surprise jacket. Here is a picture of the back of Kira's sweater. I love it! I love it! I love it!

No comments: