Sunday, February 17, 2008

Hodgepodge

Here are some random thoughts:

My latest work is pictured below. I have not done patchwork in a long time. Quilting is how I started sewing and I haven't done any quilting since Kira was born. It's just too chaotic having to lay out lots of tiny pieces of fabric and I couldn't find a long enough stretch of time to finish the patch work in one session. I have pretty much given up on it. Then I rediscovered the wonders of patch work through Sew Mama and I tried out this clever little idea called the "disappearing nine patch". I love how it turned out. I am also testing the colour palette to see if I like this combination of fabrics. I am planning to make a patch work bag in these exact fabrics, include the middle stencil. Can you actually tell what the stencil is? It's really really obvious to me but I don't know if other people can tell. Please leave a comment and let me know what you think it is.

Not very long ago, Kira was only interested in knocking down blocks. Now, she is actually stacking them. Ah, how quickly they grow up!

We went to the Children's Museum again today and discovered lots of cool exhibits. That place surprises me every time we go. Did I mention a wild fawn jumped out in front of our car the last time we went? It crossed the street and headed for the Marin Headlands. It happened on Chinese New Year day. That's gotta be good omen for the rest of the year.


Back in grad school, Brett thought he's gotta be the only person in the department without an ipod. They gave those things out for free left and right. Often, you go to a talk and they raffle off a few of them. Somehow, Brett never won one and we didn't really see the need to buy one. It's just odd that he doesn't have one. Well, we finally got him one. We didn't get the new spiffy slim model that plays a million songs and play movies and sings and dances and makes you dinner. Instead, we got a super deluxe, extra large model that plays only two tracks: "Waaaah Waaah!" and "Goo Goo Ga Ga...". This one uses biofuels and is quite energy efficient. We love it... him... it...










No comments: