Thursday, March 4, 2010

Smocked Dress

I've been pretty productive lately. After I finished the cropped jacket, I have since made another sun dress for the Girl and I am trying a vintage doll pattern. I don't want to show pictures of the doll yet because so far, I just have a couple bodies, three heads, 3 arms and 2 legs. None of them are sewn together so right now it just looks like a spooky pile of body parts. I am not making a bunch of dolls nor am I making an alien doll. The pattern I have doesn't include seam allowance and I am trying to figure out the fastest, laziest way to produce the best result.

Anyway, back to the dress. Here it is.

"Pssss, I have a secret to tell you..."


"Mommy made me a new dress! She named it the carnival dress. Doesn't it look like something you would wear to a summer carnival?"


"My standard princess pose."


I used some left over tweedle dee and a strip of random left over yellow fabric to make this dress. It was super simple and took about 3 - 4 hours total. I think it should be a little longer but the cool thing about this style is that it can easily be worn as a top. I left the shoulder pieces really long in case I want to lengthen them later.

This is what I would call an instant gratification project. I am craving another more complicated more detailed garment sewing project. Maybe a dress for myself. We'll see if I can find a nice pattern.

1 comment:

Tofuland said...

I swear Kiki is gonna be a super model later on. Seriously, just look at her.