Tuesday, September 2, 2008
This dress form is how it all started. I made one. I didn't want to buy a dress form but heard that if you want to make things that fit, you'll need one. After reading lots of blogs about duct tape dress forms, I decided to enlist the help of hubby and make on of my own. It was quite an adventure. We used one and a half rolls of duct tape, some left over batting from various quilting projects, a pillow that I was going to throw out, a card board tube from the batting, and the base of our old halogen lamp. Here we are, me and my stunt double.
Now that I have the form, I had to make something for myself. This is what I made. Not the cardigan on top, just the tank underneath it.
While I was making the tank, I cut an insane amount of fabric. The left over that I cut out was enough to make a dress for Kira. So I did. This shirring thing is pretty amazing. This dress is made from the exact same piece of shirred fabric as my top. That means what covers my boobs can cover Kira's torso and what covers my torso can cover Kira's legs. Em....
Before I started the top, I had to do something super simple to warm up. I was inspired by a friend to make a pillow case for Kira. We found some nice robot fabric and we know how much Kira loves robot. So, here is her new yellow robot pillow.
The friend I just mentioned left me some train fabric and I used it all up to make a new zipped bag for Kira's new Ikea train set. Fits like a glove!
So, my weekend was very productive. Amazingly, most of the sewing was done on Monday alone. Yeah, Labour Day! What I didn't do this weekend was sleep. Baby is NOT SLEEPING! I have to take a nap...