Friday, June 6, 2008

A Big Day for Kira

Kira went to her first day of pre-school! She did really really really well. I thought she's maybe too young and maybe she won't want to do anything if I stayed (she does so much better without me) or she won't be able to keep up with the other kids (it's a co-op, kids' ages range from Kira's age to 3.5 yrs old) or... Silly worries. She was a little clingy at the beginning during free play but once the structured activities began, she did just fine. I am so proud of her.

Now, this is not "real" school yet but I feel good about sending her to real school next year. What she is in right now is a co-op run by a bunch of moms. We each take turns hosting at our houses and teaching and we meet once a week for 2 hours. Since this was Kira's first day, I stayed the whole time. In the future, I'll probably just drop her off.

Circle time. Kira didn't want to sit down with the boys but she did pay attention during story time. It looks like she is leading the group in this picture but she was very much a follower the whole time.


Craft time. Other than snack time, this was probably her favorite part of school.


What did Hayden do? I brought him along and he got to play with "boy toys" that the host family has. Yeah! He did really well, too. He played quietly on his own the whole time and stopped briefly during snack time to, well, snack.



Here is a completely unrelated picture of Hayden with his first baby friend at a completely different occasion. He only gets to tag along to all of Kira's outings and it's rare that he gets to play with kids his age. I am hoping to go to things for him so he can make some friends too. I don't want him to have to "borrow" Kira's friends when he's older.


The theme for the lesson at school was butterflies and caterpillars. These were Kira's finished projects.


Cute ideas, eh? My first teaching day will be in July and I will be teaching about stars. My mind is racing with ideas and they all seem way to complicated for pre-schoolers. I want to talk about constellations and super novas and white dwarfs and red giants. Em... must reset my high school teaching brain to the pre-school setting. Twinkle twinkle little star, how I wonder what you are...

No comments: