Friday, June 18, 2010

Embroidery Part 2

Encouraged by her success and enthusiasm, our second project involved a "pattern". I drew a simple picture with short line segments resembling stitches on a piece of muslin and mounted that on a hoop. The Girl was instructed to start on one end of each of those little lines and finish on the other end. Here, a picture is worth a thousand words.

See those little lines, they were drawn with a Sharpie.


She was so happy and relaxed during the whole process. It cracks me up that she made up this little song to go with her handy work and I love seeing her kick her little feet.


After about half an hour or so, we ended up with this.


Was she ever proud of herself. Then she got all excited and wanted me to turn this into a picture of her. "This is a Girl and she needs long hair." Well, she hasn't quite figured out that long hair equals lots of stitches. After about 3 more stitches, she gave up. So we put it away and brought it back for short periods of time over the next two days. Finally, this was the finished product.



I messed with the colors a little bit to show of the stitching because the palette she chose was very pale. I drew the stitch lines, tied all the knot, threaded all the needles and fixed a few unintentional knots and she did the rest. If you look at the outer most blue hair, you'll see that she got confused and filled in the white space in between the dotted line instead of filling in the dotted line. I considered taking it out for her and have her redoing it but decided maybe it's part of the charm of her first embroidery project.

I have a few ideas as to what to do with this. We'll see if she has the stamina to finish a few more squares for me to assemble a quilt for her. Otherwise, I can sew this onto her clothes or make another bag for her with it. A girl can't have too many bags, right?

3 comments:

Lois Evensen said...

So sweet! Your project is one you will both always remember. Sharing time and talent is one of the best gifts we can give our children. :)

I'm glad I stumbled across your blog today just by clicking "next blog."

Best,
Lois

Bubble said...

Good job, Kira!

I really like how you teach the kids! Reading your blog taught me so much!

langlangcreations said...

Thanks Wendy. That's the sweetest compliment a mother can hope for.

Thanks for stopping by, Lois.